Infrequent, irregular bowel movement or constipation can cause pain and discomfort and it isn’t fun for anyone; no wonder there are so many people looking for remedies for constipation available for them. Constipation is often attributed to at least one of the following factors: poor diet, lack of exercise, lack of fiber, lack of fluids, or even possibly serious medical condition. The good news is there are remedies for constipation that can relieve the pain and discomfort caused by this condition.
Dehydration is one of the main causes of constipation; thus, drinking at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water daily can help improve the condition. It is also a good idea to avoid drinking caffeinated beverages since caffeine promotes dehydration and can serve as diuretics. If you drink them often, try doing so in moderation to prevent constipation.
Another key to preventing constipation is to have a healthy diet. This is one of the best natural remedies for constipation. A diet that includes vegetables, fruits, nuts and beans ensures regularity in the bowel movement. Apple is also considered as one of the remedies for constipation. Daily consumption of apple is enough to prevent constipation. Guava can also help but for full effect, this fruit must be eaten with seeds. You should also avoid starchy foods as these will only make the problem worse.
You can also try the following remedies for constipation:
1. Laxatives – laxatives are always present in all remedies for constipation as it is often the very first resort that a person suffering from constipation tries. You can buy laxatives as over-the-counter products from your local pharmacy or drugstore. If you don’t know which laxative is right for you, make sure to visit your physician first and he/she will surely prescribe a good laxative that will help you deal with your condition.
2. Mixture of honey and lemon – Mix lemon juice (2 tbsp) and honey (1 tsp) in warm water. This is used as one of the remedies for constipation as this mixture can greatly help reduce the symptoms of constipation.
3. Olive oil and Orange juice – fill a glass with half orange juice and half olive oil to make your plumbing running very smoothly.
4. Licorice – this is known to have laxative qualities. Eating real licorice can help relieve your infrequent bowel movement.
5. Grapes – a bunch of grapes is enough to do the trick.
6. Castor Oil and Honey – honey, being one of the most effective remedies for constipation, can be eaten not only with lemon but with castor oil as well.
7. Sauerkraut juice, Tomato juice, and Carrot juice – the mixture of these three juices is one of the most effective remedies for constipation.
While there are available remedies for constipation, you shouldn’t forget that proper diet, staying hydrated, and performing regular exercise are still the best ways to cure constipation.